In addition to our usual Monday-Sunday Host Week dates of March 1-7, FUMC has been asked to provide dinner and brunch on Feb. 28, the day before our scheduled week, since the congregation normally volunteering for that day has cancelled. Please note the additional dates needed as described below. Alpha House has experienced numerous cancellations by previously scheduled Host groups recently. This is an opportunity for FUMC, which has been blessed to stay well-connected and vibrantly active during the pandemic, to really step up and put our faith into action.
FUMC’s Alpha House Host Week is coming up Feb. 28 – March 7. Like most things in our lives, it will look quite different than in the past. Masks must be worn, and staff sanitizes the public areas multiple times daily. Hand sanitizers are located throughout the building, and anyone entering is asked to use them frequently. There have been no illnesses of any kind there. Alpha House staff has been serving the meals to resident families. All volunteer meal deliveries may be done by no-contact drop-off.
What we need to provide for our Host Week includes:
- Pantry supplies: We have long list of items Alpha House has requested. Since collecting items at Connections is not possible, supplies will be ordered, and we will need to deliver them to Alpha House. If you would like to help with the cost of supplies, please use PushPay and select “Alpha House” from the Fund drop down menu. This money will be used to purchase the many supplies needed for our Host Week.
- Meals: Alpha House is currently full, with seven adults and 11 children ages 18, 16, 13, 9, 8, 8, 7, 6, 4, 3 and 2 years. Including staff, Alpha House is asking that we plan on serving 20-21 people. There are currently allergies to shellfish, finned fish and cocoa beans. Since sauces containing fish are frequently used in Asian cooking, it is suggested that we not provide any Asian items.
- Meal providers to prepare meals at home to be delivered to Alpha House by themselves or other volunteers. We need to provide dinners Sunday, Feb. 28 through Sunday, March 7 as well as brunches on Saturday, March 6; Sunday, Feb. 28, and Sunday, March 7. Dinner is at 6 p.m., so meals would need to be delivered by then. Brunch on Saturday and Sunday is served at 9:30 a.m., so the meal would need to be delivered by then or on the evening before. Alpha House has a contactless delivery system in place to accept meals.
- Some volunteers in the past few months have gone into Alpha House to cook and serve meals. If your family is interested in this, please contact Beth Lipton at email@example.com for more information.
- Order a meal from a local restaurant to be delivered directly to Alpha House by the restaurant. If you would like to provide this kind of meal, but would prefer to share the cost, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to be paired up with another person.
- Shoppers able to shop for and deliver any last-minute supplies needed during our Host Week.
- Kids’ Activity kits. Unfortunately it is unlikely that there will be Kids’ Activity time during our Host Week, due to social distancing rules. However, if you would like to provide for the children, Alpha House is requesting activity kits for the kids. These could be any kind of craft project or other activity (like a word search or coloring book), with all needed supplies placed in individual ziplock bags.
Our church has been an amazing supporter of Alpha House. Your contributions have always been a blessing and a wonderful ministry for the church. They are even more needed and appreciated during this very difficult time for us all, especially by these most vulnerable of our neighbors.
If you have questions or suggestions, please don’t hesitate to contact Beth Lipton at email@example.com or 734-665-9033.