First United Methodist Church’s Alpha House host week is coming up on Nov. 2-8. Like most things in our lives, it will look quite different than in the past. Masks must be worn and staff will be sanitizing the public areas multiple times daily. Hand sanitizer is located throughout the building and anyone entering is asked to use them frequently. There have been no illnesses of any kind there. Alpha House staff has been serving the meals to resident families.
What we need to provide for our host week:
- Pantry supplies – We have long list of items Alpha House has requested. Since collecting items at Connections is not possible, supplies will be ordered, and we will need to deliver them to Alpha House. If you would like to help with the cost of supplies, please use the Pushpay link on the church website and select “Alpha House” from the drop down menu. This money will be used to purchase the many supplies needed for our host week.
- Meals – We anticipate that Alpha House will be full during our host week but since we likely will not have volunteer meal servers, we need to provide for approximately 17-20 people. There are currently allergies to shellfish and finned fish. Since sauces containing fish are frequently used in Asian cooking, it is suggested that we not provide any Asian items.
- Meal providers to prepare meals at home to be delivered to Alpha House by themselves or other volunteers. We need to provide dinners Monday through Friday and Sunday. Dinner is at 6 p.m., so meals need to be delivered by then. We also need to provide breakfast on Saturday and Sunday. Breakfast is served at 9:30 a.m. Alpha House has a contactless delivery system in place to accept meals.
- Some volunteers in the past few months have gone into Alpha House to cook and serve meals. If your family is interested in this, please contact Beth Lipton at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Order a meal from a local restaurant to be delivered directly to Alpha House by the restaurant. If you would like to provide this kind of meal, but would prefer to share the cost, please contact Beth Lipton at email@example.com to be paired up with another person.
- Shoppers able to shop for and deliver any last-minute supplies needed during our host week.
- Unfortunately it is unlikely that there will be kids’ activity time during our host week, due to social distancing rules. However, if you would like to provide for the children, Alpha House is requesting activity kits for the kids. These could be any kind of craft project or other activity, e.g. a word search or coloring book, with all needed supplies placed in individual ziplock bags.
For questions or more information, please contact Beth Lipton at firstname.lastname@example.org.Share