When members of then First Methodist Church of Ann Arbor decided to commission a new building in the late 1930s, W. W. Kimball Organ Company (Chicago, Illinois) was selected to build the new organ for the sanctuary.
The initial design was only partially completed during the 1940 installation due to budgetary constraints. In 1958, The Reuter Organ Company (Lawrence, Kansas), in collaboration with Mary McCall Stubbins, the resident organist from 1942 to 1997, completed the organ with minor revisions to the originally envisioned stoplist. The Reuter Organ Company also provided a new console in 1988 and changed the physical configuration of the organ in 1990. During the summers of 2009, 2010, and 2011, the organ underwent repair and refurbishing work by Renaissance Pipe Organ Company (Ann Arbor, Michigan), which greatly improved the quality of the instrument.